- This event has passed.
Awakening Chinatown 2023
May 28 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected. Try reloading the page.
Noon – 5 pm, May 28, Victoria’s Historic Chinatown
This year commemorates the 21 st Anniversary of Asian Heritage Month, and we couldn’t be more excited. After the incredible success of last year’s inaugural “Awakening Chinatown” event, we are pleased to bring our community together once again for an even bigger celebration that honours the contributions of Chinese Canadians who enrich our country’s cultural tapestry.
Presented by the Victoria Chinatown Museum Society and in collaboration with the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA), Pacific Opera Victoria (POV) and local Chinatown businesses, the Second Annual “Awakening Chinatown” festivities will take place in the vibrant National Historic Site area of Canada’s oldest Chinatown.
Join us for a lively afternoon that promises something for everyone including kung-fu, dance, music, arts, and crafts! Grab a seat by the main stage to enjoy a stunning variety of performances. Or explore some of Chinatown’s diverse shops and eateries while wandering along Fisgard Street traffic-free, which will be temporarily closed for the event between Store and Government Streets.
This year’s Traditional Celebrations will include:
- Dotting of the Eyes ceremony to “Awaken the Lions”, an allegorical awakening of Chinatown itself,
- The captivating rhythm and flow of traditional martial arts and lion dancing as demonstrated by the Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club,
- The Lion Procession to bring good fortune and prosperity to the businesses of Chinatown,
- The eternal elegance of traditional Chinese dance as performed by Chinese Dance Victoria, directed by Dr. Hua Lin,
- Performances by the Happy Drum Group and Victoria Society of Chinese Performing Arts – Evergreen (Senior’s) Choir,
- House of Rice Chinese drag performers, Sunshine Fitness Group, magician Justin Louie and the Victoria Chinese Opera Club,
- Beautiful performances by Luka Kawabata, and Alex Chen of Pacific Opera Victoria from Chinatown’s historic balconies,
- Opportunities for families to learn Chinese arts and crafts, play Chinese games, and enjoy demonstrations of Chinese calligraphy and fortune telling.