- This event has passed.
Reflecting On History, Shaping Our Future
June 23 @ 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Start time where you are: Your time zone couldn't be detected. Try reloading the page.
Join us for a momentous commemoration of the 100-Year Anniversary of the Chinese Immigration Act. Celebrate the remarkable contributions of Calgary’s Chinese community through historical storytelling, cultural performances, and acknowledgments of Chinese Canadian achievers. This nationally significant event honors our past, celebrates our present, and shapes a future of unity and inclusivity.
Join us at the Central Library at 800 3 St SE on June 23, 2023, at 11.30 am – 2:00 pm.
The order of events will include:
• Historical Storytelling of Chinese Immigration: Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about the rich history of Chinese immigration to Canada through captivating storytelling sessions. Experts and historians will share compelling narratives, shedding light on the challenges, triumphs, and contributions of Chinese immigrants throughout the past century.
• Evolution of Calgary Chinatown: A dedicated segment will explore the evolution of Calgary’s Chinatown, showcasing its transformation, growth, and cultural significance over the years. Through multimedia presentations, attendees will gain a deeper understanding of the vibrant history, heritage, and cultural fabric of Calgary’s Chinatown.
• Cultural Performances: The event will feature captivating cultural performances that celebrate Chinese heritage and traditions.
• City Council Acknowledgement: City officials, including members of the City Council, will be present to acknowledge and express their support for the commemoration. This acknowledgment from local government representatives underscores the significance of the event and the recognition of the contributions made by the Chinese community to the city.
• Chinese Community Acknowledgement: A special segment will be dedicated to acknowledging and honoring the contributions and achievements of the Chinese community in Calgary. This will provide a platform to recognize individuals, organizations, and community leaders who have made a significant impact on Calgary’s Chinese and Chinatown history, heritage, culture, and community.
• Chinatown Acknowledgment: The event will pay tribute to the importance of Chinatown as a cultural hub and community gathering place. The significance of preserving and celebrating Chinatown’s heritage, architecture, and cultural identity will be emphasized, highlighting its role as a symbol of resilience and community spirit.
• Online Viewing of National Recognition: As part of the event, a live stream will be set up to showcase the National Recognition of the 100-Year Anniversary of the Chinese Immigration Act, taking place at Canada’s Senate Chambers. Attendees will have the unique opportunity to witness this historic moment and join in the national commemoration virtually.
• Honoring Calgary Contributors: The event will recognize and honor individuals and organizations in Calgary who have made significant contributions to the city’s Chinese and Chinatown history, heritage, culture, and community. These acknowledgments will highlight the outstanding achievements and impact of these individuals and organizations in fostering understanding, preserving heritage, and strengthening community bonds.